If your Albuquerque home’s water heater isn’t keeping up with your demands, you’re probably in the market for a new water heater. If you’re like most people, you’ve never really given much thought about the system that gives you hot water on demand. That is, until you are in the market for a water heater replacement! The plumbing experts at B. Carlson Heating, Air Conditioning, & Plumbing are here to help simplify your decision and help you choose the best system for your home, so that every appliance, faucet, and shower has plenty of hot water to meet your needs.
When it comes to buying a water heater for your home, you have two choices: traditional tank storage water heaters or tankless water heaters (also called on-demand water heaters). Should you get a tankless water heater? This guide will help you decide.
Learn more about water heater replacement in the Albuquerque, New Mexico area, or call the plumbers at B. Carlson at (505) 225-3016 to find the best water heater for you!
Traditional Vs. Tankless Water Heaters: What’s the Difference?
Traditional tank storage water heaters come in electric, gas, and propane models. These systems have a large tank that holds between 20 and 80 gallons of hot water in the storage tank.
Because of this, they can be quite large, and homeowners usually opt to tuck them away in a closet, basement, or garage. One of the down sides to traditional water heaters is that they hold a fixed amount of water—which can run out—and cause quite a chilling experience. These models typically last 10 to 15 years.
Tankless water heaters don’t have a tank (shocking, right?), but instead heat your home’s water as it is needed via gas or electric coils. These systems are much smaller than tank storage systems, and can be installed in more places. Although they can produce 2-5 gallons of heated water per minute, they do have some limits on how much hot water they can put out at one time, so if you’re washing clothes, running the dishwasher, and showering all at the same time, it might not be able to keep up. Tankless water heaters can last 20 or more years with proper maintenance, and typically have longer warranties.
When Should I Replace My Water Heater?
It can be hard to decide when to finally call it quits on your home’s water heater. Although repairs can be faster and often cheaper, there’s some common water heater problems that aren’t repairable. In times like this, replacing your water heater can be a smarter decision to reduce stress and save money in the long-term. Water heater replacement may be the best option for you when:
- Your water heater can’t keep up with your needs. Maybe you recently added on to your home, added new appliances, or maybe your water heater is just too old to keep up. Whatever the reason, you need a water heater that can deliver hot water to all areas of your home whenever you need it. If your current system can’t do that, now is the time for a new one!
- You need repair services frequently. Sometimes there can be problems with your water heater, from simple valve replacements to more complex leaks. But if you’re searching “plumbing company near me” more than once a year for water heater repair, switching to a new tankless water heater is a better investment than putting money into a failing system.
- Your water heater is old. If your water heater is a decade old (or even older), you are not getting the most efficient water heating you could be. Technology is getting better and new models of water heaters are more effective and efficient.
- You want to switch to a tankless water heater. Tankless water heater systems are growing in popularity for many homeowners, including those in the Albuquerque area. With lower energy costs, on-demand hot water, and space saving, they are a great option!
Are Tankless Water Heaters Worth It?
Tankless systems have a more complicated installation, so be sure to find a local plumbing company with experts whose skills and reputation has trustworthy credentials. They can also have a higher upfront installation cost. Otherwise, they are great systems to meet your home’s hot water needs. Benefits of going tankless are:
- Money saved in the long-term. According to Energy.gov, “For homes that use 41 gallons or less of hot water daily, demand (or tankless) water heaters can be 24%–34% more energy efficient than conventional storage tank water heaters.” These energy savings can help recoup the cost of your initial investment!
- Space saved. On-demand water heaters are small and can be installed in more places, making them ideal for adding back livable square footage to your home.
- Lifespan is longer. These systems can last almost double the lifespan of traditional tank water heaters.
- Hot water on demand. Tankless water heaters can provide two to three gallons of hot water per minute, whenever you need it.
Call B. Carlson for Tankless Water Heater Installation in Albuquerque
Our expert plumbers can answer any remaining questions you may have about water heater replacement or tankless water heaters. Schedule service today or call (505) 225-3016 to learn more!